Fifty Five+ · Grandparents
Did you know the Library has all kinds of free programs and resources to help you have fun with your grandchildren? Check out our program calendar for a complete list of times and locations.
Enjoy Books with Your Grandchildren
- New Stuff for Kids
- Librarian Reading Recommendations
- Featured Book of the Month
- NoveList K-8 Plus
- Online Storytimes
Tips for a Successful Visit with Your Grandchildren
- Bring your library card, the child's card, or the parent's card. (We can't look up a parent's library card so a child can check out materials.) If you don't have a library card, it's easy to get one. Just use our online application. A parent or legal guardian must be present for a child to apply for a library card.
- Ask the Children's Librarian for reading, listening, and viewing recommendations. We're here to help!
- Attend a storytime or other program. Prepare to be entertained by and with your grandchild.
Being a Grandparent
- Toad Cottages & Shooting Stars: Grandma's Bag of Tricks by Sharon Lovejoy
- Super Granny: Great Stuff to Do with Your Grandkids by Sally Wendkos Olds
- Eye of My Heart : 27 Writers Reveal the Hidden Pleasures and Perils of Being a Grandmother
- The Granny Diaries: An Insider's Guide for New Grandmothers by Adair Lara
- The Joyous Gift of Grandparenting: 101 Practical Ideas & Meaningful Activities to Share Your Love by Doug Hewitt
- A Boomer's Guide to Grandparenting by Kathryn Zullo
- If I Knew It Was Going to Be This Much Fun, I Would Have Become a Grandparent First by Willard Scott
To find more titles, try searching our catalog with one of these subject headings:
- Grandparent and child
- Grandparents as parents
- Grandfathers — Juvenile fiction
- Grandmothers — Juvenile fiction
- Grandparenting. This AARP resource covers all grandparenting issues, from lighthearted to serious.
- Grandparents.com. Activities, news, toy and gift reviews, and expert advice—just for grandparents.
You’ll find more related websites in Sites by Subject, a directory of websites maintained by library staff.
Places to Go (Beyond the Library!)
- Chateau Laroche: Loveland Castle
- Greater Cincinnati Police Historical Museum
- Fire Museum of Greater Cincinnati
- EnterTrainment Junction
- Parky's Farm at Winton Woods
- Caesar Creek State Park
- Cincinnati Art Museum
- Krohn Conservatory
- Little Miami Scenic Bike Trail
- Newport Aquarium
- Contemporary Arts Center
Raising Your Grandchildren
Raising a second family? Find the legal, benefits, and policy information you need as your grandchild's primary caregiver.
- To Grandma's House We…Stay: When You Have to Stop Spoiling Your Grandchildren and Start Raising Them by Sally Houtman
- Grandparents Raising Grandchildren. Support resources for kinship parenting.
- Kinship Care and Support. Legal forms and information on financial assistance for families raising children of relatives in Ohio.
- Adopt Ohio. Resources on adopting in Ohio from the Department of Job and Family Services.
- AARP Foundation Grandparenting Program. Information, referral, and outreach for grandparents caring for grandchildren.
Still Need Help?
The Ask a Librarian page lists all the different ways you can get assistance!