Welcome to 55+ your online, onestop guide to the enormous variety of programs, resources and services the Library has for you.
· Health & Wellness Resources
Find reliable, up-to-the-minute information on matters of health and wellness using our collection of books, databases and websites.
Newspaper & Magazine Articles
Did you know the Library subscribes to online versions of publications like Harvard Women’s Health Watch, Men’s Health, and Consumer Reports on Health (plus hundreds of others) so that you can conduct your research from the comfort of your home or office computer? To access cover-to-cover versions of these magazines, have your library card number and PIN handy and click on the following links:
Use this online directory for a complete list of magazines in our collection.
You’ll need your your library card number and PIN to access these subscription databases from home.
- Health and Wellness Resources Center. Health information from a variety of resources, including general interest and fitness magazines, medical and professional periodicals, reference books, and pamphlets.
- NetWellness. A nonprofit consumer health resource that draws upon information created and evaluated by health care professionals at the University of Cincinnati, Ohio State University, and Case Western Reserve University medical centers.
- NIH Senior Health. Health and wellness information for older adults from the National Institutes of Health.
- AARP Health News. Information about diseases, healthcare reform, doctors and hospitals, alternative medicine, longevity, etc.
- Lifelong Fitness Alliance. Provides education and opportunities for health and fitness activities for older adults.
- Centers for Medicare and Medicaid. Information about diseases, health resources, and recent developments in anti-aging medicine. Provides an online desk reference, bookstore, and a free newsletter.
- Ohio Department of Insurance. Free health insurance information and services for people on Medicare.
You'll find more health and wellness-related websites in Sites by Subject and Government Resources, directories of websites maintained by library staff.
- Cincinnati Recreation Commission. Find a CRC facility or program near your home or office.
- Council on Aging for Southwestern Ohio: Health, Wellness, and Safety. A terrific guide to local resources on topics such as assistance and discount programs, physician services, clinics, preventive services, and senior centers.
- Hamilton County Public Health Department: Physical Activity and Healthy Eating. Health education and wellness programs, including walking clubs, strength training programs, and chair volleyball.
- Nutrition Council. This local organization promotes healthy environments and lifestyles in Greater Cincinnati through nutrition education, physical activity and advocacy.
Recommended Reading & Viewing
There are loads of books and videos in our collection about a wide range of health-related issues. Here are some titles to get you started:
To find more titles, try searching our catalog with one of these subject headings:
Still Need Help?
The Ask a Librarian page lists all the different ways you can get assistance!