Fifty Five+ · Health & Wellness Resources
Find reliable, up-to-the-minute information on matters of health and wellness using our collection of books, databases and websites.
You’ll need your library card number and PIN to access these subscription databases from home.
- Consumer Health Complete. Full text journals, magazines, and reference books dealing with health, wellness, fitness, and nutrition - coverage includes a focus on the complementary, holistic and integrated approaches to health and wellness.
- NetWellness. A nonprofit consumer health resource that draws upon information created and evaluated by health care professionals at the University of Cincinnati, Ohio State University, and Case Western Reserve University medical centers.
- Medline. Authoritative information on clinical medicine, dentistry, education, experimental medicine, nursing, nutrition, pathology, psychiatry, and toxicology. Created and maintained by the National Library of Medicine.
- NIH Senior Health. Health and wellness information for older adults from the National Institutes of Health.
- AARP Health News. Information about diseases, healthcare reform, doctors and hospitals, alternative medicine, longevity, etc.
- Fifty Plus Fitness at Home. Tips and recommendations for setting up a home exercise program.
- Centers for Medicare and Medicaid. Information about diseases, health resources, and recent developments in anti-aging medicine. Provides an online desk reference, bookstore, and a free newsletter.
- Ohio Department of Insurance. Free health insurance information and services for people on Medicare.
- Cincinnati Recreation Commission. Find a CRC facility or program near your home or office.
- Council on Aging for Southwestern Ohio: Health and Safety. Local resources on topics such as assistance and discount programs, physician services, clinics, preventive services, and senior centers.
- Hamilton County Public Health Department: Physical Activity and Healthy Eating. Health education and wellness programs, including walking clubs, strength training programs, and chair volleyball.
- Nutrition Council. This local organization promotes healthy environments and lifestyles in Greater Cincinnati through nutrition education, physical activity and advocacy.
Recommended Reading & Viewing
There are loads of books and videos in our collection about a wide range of health-related issues. Here are some titles to get you started:
- A Long Bright Future: An Action Plan for a Lifetime of Happiness, Health, and Financial Security by Laura L. Carstensen
- What's Age Got to Do With It?: Living Your Healthiest and Happiest Life by Robin McGraw
- Living the Good Long Life: A Practical Guide to Caring for Yourself and Others by Martha Stewart
- The Wonder of Aging: A New Approach to Embracing Life after Fifty by Michael Gurian
- Winning Strategies for Successful Aging by Eric Pfeiffer
- Total Sports Conditioning for Athletes 50+ : Workouts for Staying at the Top of Your Game by Karl G. Knopf
To find more titles, try searching our catalog with one of these subject headings:
- Older people--Health and hygiene
- Middle aged persons--Health and hygiene
- Physical fitness for middle-aged persons
- Physical fitness for older people
Still Need Help?
The Ask a Librarian page lists all the different ways you can get assistance!