the canvas bags used to deliver books to senior centers
nursing homes, correctional facilities, and schools
“You cannot know what your service means to people who do not get out. To have you bring us books is really wonderful.”
About the Outeach Services Department
More than 5.6 million visits were made to our Library last year. Unfortunately, many area residents are not ambulatory and cannot get to any of the Library’s 41 convenient locations. For those who cannot access traditional library services, the Library's Outreach Services Department is a lifeline. Although it has no public service desk, Outreach Services, located “down under” the Main Library in its lower level, touches a tremendous number of lives in the community. Among the important services developed to meet the needs of users with special needs and the professionals who work with or care for them are:
- Mailing over 9,000 books, audio books, and videos to the homebound. Watch a video from one of our “Books to Your Door” customers.
- Providing over 700 programs for children with special needs at area hospitals and schools.
- Delivering materials to adults in over 160 nursing homes, assisted living facilities, and community centers.
- Providing materials for correctional facilities such as the Hamilton County Justice Center. Watch a video from a correctional facility educational specialist who receives this service.
- Delivering, on average, over 500 teacher collections each month to schools in Hamilton County, many of which no longer have staffed libraries, or libraries at all. Watch a video see what one of our area teachers says about teacher collections.
- Offering one of the most extensive collections of large print books in the U.S., including popular fiction, nonfiction, and classics.
This touching comment from one of the department’s new Books by Mail customers says it all. “Not too many things good happen when you’re old and in a nursing home. The Library delivery service is a wonderful service.”
In 2008, Outreach Services staff brought its services to 11,342 special needs customers from preschool aged through adulthood who otherwise wouldn’t have experienced what the Library has to offer them. Outreach Services staff also entertained more than 3,000 kids and families at Storybook Puppeteers performances.
For more information, contact Outreach Services at 513-369-6963 or email