The Public Library of Cincinnati and Hamilton County is holding a day of public celebration to mark our 160th anniversary. A fun-filled afternoon of activities, music, and refreshments is planned for Saturday, October 19 from Noon - 3:00 p.m. at our Main Library, 800 Vine Street, Cincinnati
The celebration at Main Library on Saturday, October 19 will include:
- Noon - A musical performance by Grammy-nominated children’s entertainer Zak Morgan
- 12:30 - Guided tour and discussion of The Cincinnati Riverfront Panorama of 1848
- 1:00 - John Fleischman, author of Free & Public: 150 Years at the Public Library of Cincinnati & Hamilton County, 1853-2003, will discuss the Library’s history
- 1:30 - Guided tour and discussion of The Cincinnati Riverfront Panorama of 1848
- 2:00 - Jazz with the Chris Barrick Quartet
- 2:30 - Guided tour and discussion of The Cincinnati Riverfront Panorama of 1848
Other activities happening throughout the afternoon include magic shows, face painting, balloon animals, crafts, games, prizes, refreshments provided by United Dairy Farmers, visits from superheroes from the Ohio 501st Garrison, a Library history scavenger hunt, and more!
Stereoscope from the Anniversary Exhibit
While you’re here for the 160th Anniversary Celebration, don’t forget to check out our new exhibit, "160 Years of Innovation: Celebrating the Past, Present and Future of the Public Library." Get a glimpse of how the Library evolved over the years into its present day status as one of the best, busiest, and most used library systems in all of America. A special 160th Anniversary exhibit featuring some of the oldest items from the Library’s collection, as well as historic photos and memorabilia, will be on view in the Main Library atrium September 10-October 23.
Commemorative Rookwood Tile
Created by Rookwood Master Sculptor Gary Simon, this commemorative tile captures in stunning detail the beauty of The Amelia Valerio Weinberg Memorial Fountain, affectionately known as the “book fountain.“ Honoring the Public Library of Cincinnati and Hamilton County’s 160th Anniversary (1853-2013), the tile depicts this magnificent sculpture located on the Vine Street Plaza of the Main Library. The Rookwood Tile will go on sale on Friday, November 29th at Macy’s. But at our anniversary celebration, we’ll be raffling off a certificate to win a free tile or a previous tile from the Rookwood collection.