On Saturday, October 12th, the 7th annual Books by the Banks: Cincinnati USA Book Festival takes place at Duke Energy Center from 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. The day-long festival will feature over 100 national, regional and local authors; book signings; panel discussions and author sessions; and plenty of activities for the entire family to enjoy. All events are free and open to the public! Copies of the author's books will be available for sale.
The featured authors include:
- Stuart Woods, Doing Hard Time
- Maria Semple, Where’d You Go, Bernadette
- Graeme Simsion, The Rosie Project
- James McBride, The Good Lord Bird
- R.J. Palacio,, Wonder
- Bob Shea, Unicorn Thinks He’s Pretty Great
- Peter McCarty, Fall Ball
- Gene Luen Yang, Boxers and Saints
- C.F. Payne, Mousetronaut Goes to Mars
- Molly Wellmann, Handcrafted Cocktails
- Katherine Howe, The House of Velvet and Glass
- Cinda Williams Chima, The Enchanter Heir
Books by the Banks 2013 poster by Jeffrey Ebbeler
See the Books by the Banks website for the complete schedule list of participating authors.
Author and Panel Sessions
In addition to individual presentations by Stuart Woods, R.J. Palacio, James McBride, Maria Semple, and Graeme Simsion, panel discussions and cooking demos will take place throughout the day. Here’s a sample:
- “Cincinnati Perspectives: Views of the City through Photography, Architecture and the Arts“
- “Mysteries, Suspense and Thrillers“
- “Handcrafted Cocktails with Molly Wellmann“
- “Writing and Illustrating Comics and Graphic Novels“
This year, we’ve added a “Writing & Getting Published” program track to the lineup. Highlights include:
- “Writing and Illustrating Childrens’ Books“
- “Social Media and Digital Promotion for Writers“
- “Workshops for Kids with the Wordplay Creative Writing Center“
See the Books by the Banks website for a complete schedule and room locations.
The Kid Corner will feature a full schedule of activities for the entire family to enjoy throughout the day! Activities include:
- Storytime with Jeff Ebbeler, Bob Shea, and Barney Saltzberg
- Arts and Crafts Face painting, balloon artists, and animal creations at the Barnyard Craft Table
- Meet ’n Greet storybook characters such as Clifford the Big Red Dog, Maisy, Wild Thing, Pete the Cat, Nate the Great, Ladybug Girl, and The Berenstain Bears. Join the Mascot Dance Party!
- Performance by Thaddeus Rex, Read Like A Rock Star
See the Books by the Banks website for the complete schedule of Kids Corner activities.
Books by the Banks is organized by UC Libraries, The Mercantile Library, the Public Library of Cincinnati and Hamilton County, Joseph-Beth Booksellers, Northern Kentucky University W. Frank Steely Library, Clermont County Library, the Lane Libraries, and the MidPointe Library System.
The Cincinnati Enquirer, 91.7WVXU, CET, and Cincinnati Family Magazine
The Carol Ann and Ralph V. Haile, Jr./U.S. Bank Foundation, Ohio Humanities Council, Friends of the Public Library, Library Foundation, Scripps Howard Foundation, Northern Kentucky University Friends of Steely Library
Special Thanks To
Cincinnati Metro, AAA Corporate Travel, Downtown Cincinnati, Inc., CincinnatiUSA.com