The Library is hosting “Ohioana 2013: Connecting Readers and Hamilton County Writers” at the Main Library on Sunday, April 21, at 1:45 p.m. This literary event honors authors from Hamilton County and gives readers a chance to meet them and learn more about the publishing world through an author panel discussion.
During Ohioana, the Cooper Award will be presented to Writer’s Digest/F&W Media. Created in 2003 and named for the founding family of Ohioana, the Cooper Award is given to an individual or organization that has made outstanding contributions to the promotion of books and reading in Hamilton County. Past winners include Andrea Cheng, Buck Niehoff, Sharon Draper, Will Hillenbrand, and The Friends of the Public Library.
This year’s Ohioana theme, “How to Get Published.”, celebrates local published authors and encourages aspiring authors by offering information about the publishing industry. Chuck Sambuchino, editor for Writer’s Digest books and author of Formatting & Submitting Your Manuscript, 3rd edition, Create Your Writer Platform, How to Survive a Garden Gnome Attack and Red Dog/Blue Dog: When Pooches Get Political, will moderate a panel discussion with local authors.
- Andrea Cheng. Author of 18 award-winning books for children and young adults, including Where Do You Stay? which received the Ohioana Juvenile Literature Book Award in 2012. Cheng teaches English as a second language and children's literature at Cincinnati State Technical and Community College.
- Leah Stewart. Author of The History of Us, The Myth of You and Me and Husband and Wife. She teaches in the University of Cincinnati’s creative writing program.
- Brandon Snider. Author of the best-selling Dark Knight Manual. Snider has written for Comedy Central and the Huffington Post. As an actor, he’s appeared on “Late Night with Conan O’Brien” and “Law & Order: SVU.”
All authors in attendance will be recognized during the event. Books by many of the authors will be available for sale in the Atrium and Popular Library. Authors will also be at the tables to talk with readers and sign books. This event is free and open to the public.
Ohioana Schedule of Events
- 1:00–1:30 p.m. – Author registration, introductions, photos
- 1:45–2:00 p.m. – Welcome, speeches, Cooper Award
- 2:00–2:45 p.m. – Panel discussion
- 2:45–4:00 p.m. – Author meet-and-greet at tables