September 2015


Jean Alva Goldsmith Exhibit

Goldsmith exhibit

After her death in 1929, the parents of Jean Alva Goldsmith donated the 7-year-old’s book collection to the Library and set up a trust in her name to amass a treasure trove of the finest examples of children’s literature. For more than 80 years librarians have built this book collection based on criteria such as the Caldecott and Newbery awards, culturally significant fairy tales, African American literature and local authors. The result is a collection of several hundred volumes which librarians, teachers, researchers and children can enjoy for years to come. The Jean Alva Goldsmith collection exhibit will be on view in the Main Atrium Sept. 9−Jan. 4, 2016.

Seeing Calvino

Seeing Calvino exhibit

Seeing Calvino is an attempt by Ohio artists Leighton Connor, Matt Kish, and Joe Kuth to “see” the work of the Italian writer Italo Calvino’s (1923-1985) Invisible Cities through the creation of illustrations responding to and exploring his ideas. The three artists’ work will be on display in the Popular Library of the Main Library now through Nov. 20. The exhibit features a wide range of styles, from solidly representational to near-abstract. The artists also employed a variety of media including acrylic, watercolor, gouache paints, pen and ink, colored pencils, markers and collage.

C’mon Along: Take a Riverboat Cruise

The CincinnatiThe Cincinnati

Relive the days of river excursion travel through this exhibit of riverboat photography and promotional materials on display in the Main Library’s Joseph S. Stern, Jr. Cincinnati Room Aug. 7–Nov. 15. The exhibit features historical photos, fliers, and brochures from the Greene Line Steamers and the famous Delta Queen, the Island Queen, and other excursion boats that serviced Coney Island.

For additional information about any of the exhibits listed, please call our Programs & Exhibits Coordinator at 513-369-6944.