- Consumer Health Complete
- Full text journals, magazines, and reference books dealing with health, wellness, fitness, and nutrition – coverage includes a focus on the complementary, holistic and integrated approaches to health and wellness.
- Gale Virtual Reference Library
- Search the full-text of hundreds of electronic reference books on a wide range of subjects, including: the arts, business, education, history, law, medicine, and science.
- Authoritative information on clinical medicine, dentistry, education, experimental medicine, nursing, nutrition, pathology, psychiatry, and toxicology. Created and maintained by the National Library of Medicine.
- Nonprofit consumer health site that draws upon information created and evaluated by health care professionals at the University of Cincinnati, Ohio State University, and Case Western Reserve University medical centers.
- This site is devoted exclusively to health, fitness, and medical information for African Americans.
- The Dr. Oz Show
- Provides health information, recipes, exercise tips, and more.
- Health information for the entire family from the American Academy of Family Physicians.
- Find Help - Health Resources and Services Administration
- Locate local health centers, hospitals, poison control centers, pregnancy care, and other resources for those with no insurance or little income.
- Go Ask Alice
- Topics and issues compiled by Columbia University's Health Education Program.
- A gateway for information from the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services.
- The Mayo Clinic
- Good site for easy-to-understand health information.
- Easy-to-read, detailed medical information written for consumers by board-certified physicians. Search for information on diseases and conditions, common procedures and tests, and medications.
- Medline Plus: Videos of Surgical Procedures
- Links to pre-recorded webcasts of surgical procedures. Real Player required.
- One of the largest sites for medical information, Medscape includes articles, reviews, news, a dictionary, a bookstore and employment listings.
- National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute
- The NHLBI produces quite a few small publications which answer basic questions on specific health topics. These fact sheets are free to download in several formats and are grouped according to target audience: i.e., the general public or health care professionals.
- National Library of Medicine
- The National Library of Medicine provides free access to Medline, which contains over 11 million article references to more than 4300 biomedical journals, and to MedlinePlus, which is composed of carefully selected web resources on over 400 health topics for consumers and professionals.
- OhioHeretoHelp.com: Healthcare Assistance
- Resources on topics such as healthcare clinics, medicaid fact sheets, and prescription assistance.
- Physical Activity Guidelines for Americans
- The Federal Government has issued its first-ever Physical Activity Guidelines for Americans. They describe the types and amounts of physical activity that offer substantial health benefits to Americans.
- University of Iowa Health Library
- A well-organized, searchable online version of the handbook, part of the university's Virtual Hospital.
- An academic search engine created by two biology scientists in Chicago which provides access to a wide range of biological and medical information for researchers, educators, students, clinicians, etc.
- Wellness Information Zone
- Use this portal to access consumer-friendly information on diseases and conditions, fitness, navigating the health care system, and local health resources.
Agencies & Organizations
- American Medical Association
- The official site of the American Medical Association features a doctor finder, hospital finder and medical group practice finder as well as information about the AMA.
- Cincinnati and the Tristate · Community & Government Agencies
- Use this directory for local resources.
- Cincinnati Health Alliance
- Information on member hospitals of the Cincinnati Health Alliance.
- Coalition for a Drug-Free Cincinnati
- This organization promotes drug free environments for youth by enhancing partnerships to educate, advocate and support locally-based, community mobilization.
- Department of Health & Human Services
- The Health and Human Services homepage contains numerous gateways and links to information on a wide variety of health related topics, plus information on the department.
- Directory of health and biomedical organizations that offer information, referral, and support for various diseases and conditions.
- The Health Foundation of Greater Cincinnati
- This foundation awards grants to non-profit and governmental organizations for programs and activities that improve health in Cincinnati and 20 surrounding counties in Indiana, Kentucky, and Ohio
- Health Hotlines
- Directory of health-related organizations operating toll-free telephone services.
- Ohio Department of Health
- Read about Ohio health resources and programs. State and county health statistics are also available.
- Alternative Health News Online
- An easily accessible site for the latest information on alternative health news and information, including diet, nutrition, longevity, mind/body control and manual healing.
- AltHealth Search
- A well-arranged website of information on many kinds of alternative health strategies.
- A comprehensive resource for chiropractic information. Contains many articles and directories.
- AHRQ: Agency for Health Research and Quality
- A US Government agency which provides consumer health information, including advice on preparing for a physician visit under "Consumers and Patients."
- Consumers and healthcare professionals can find the results of independent tests of health-related products here.
- Healthgrades.com · Health Care Ratings
- Site offering Health Care Report Cards, ratings of hospitals and physicians on procedures and diagnosis at over 5000 U.S. hospitals.
- Insure Kids Now!
- A national initiative to link families to low-cost insurance programs. From the Department of Health & Human Services.
- National Committee for Quality Assurance
- Use this site to evaluate the quality of your health care plan.
- Maintained by a longtime health consumer advocate, this website provides articles on healthcare fraud, questionable advertising, and critiques the claims of many alternative therapies.
- Quality Check
- Use this site to evaluate the quality and safety of treatment provided by health care organizations.
- Tox Town
- Interactive guide to toxic chemicals and environmental health issues in everyday locations. Some resources are available in Spanish.
- ADA Member Directory
- The American Dental Association provides this online directory of dentists.
- Ohio State Dental Board
- Search this website for license status of dentists, dental hygienists, and dental assistant radiographers in the state of Ohio.
Diseases, Disorders & Symptoms
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- Health and disease information from the federal agency charged with protecting the public health of the nation.
- Online medical information provided by the pharmaceutical giant Merck & Co. Includes the complete version of the Merck Manual of Geriatrics and the Merck Manual of Information - Home Edition.
- Avian and pandemic flu information from the Department of Health and Human Services. Includes information about federal, state, and local planning and response activities, tests and vaccines, and travel alerts/advisories.
- The Academy of Medicine in Cincinnati
- Guide to member physicians, definitions of specialties, directory of health and social service organizations, and FAQ's.
- American Board of Medical Specialties
- Search for a certified medical specialist.
- A site which provides information on and ratings of local physicians
- Federation of State Medical Boards
- Links to a wide variety of state medical board websites which can be searched for physician license information.
- On-Line Doctor Finder
- Povided by the American Medical Association, this directory of physicians allows searching by name or specialty.
- State Medical Board of Ohio
- Search this website for physician license status in the state of Ohio and also a handy consumer guide.
- Use this website to find contact information to more than 41,000 industry and government sponsored clinical trials. Also, use it to search a database of FDA approvals dating back to 1995.
- Clinical Trials
- Use this National Institute of health website to find clinical studies of medicines. Search by diagnosis, sign, symptom, or browse by principal investigator or disease category.
- Consumer Reports Best Buy Drugs
- Recommends and discusses medicines based on prices and effectiveness.
- Medline Plus Drug Information
- A source of information for prescription and over-the-counter medications.
- A free web resource, providing in-depth coverage of nearly 300 drugs, including drug description, use, contraindications, warnings, cautions, drug-drug interactions, side effects, toxicity, and dosage.
- U.S. Food and Drug Administration
- Drug regulation and news from the U.S. Food and Drug Administration.
History of Medicine
- Karolinska Institute History of Biomedicine
- This website from Sweden's only university of medicine provides hundreds of links to webpages on the history of medicine, with sections on indigenous cultures, Mesopotamia, Ancient Egypt, and more.
- The American Hospital Directory
- A searchable directory of U.S. hospitals.
- Cincinnati and the Tristate · Hospitals & Healthcare Networks
- Use this directory for local resources.
- Hospital Compare
- Access information on how well the hospitals in your area care for all their adult patients with certain medical conditions (heart attack, heart failure, and pneumonia). From the Department of Health and Human Services.
- Vaccines & Immunizations
- Detailed information about vaccines from the Centers for Disease Control.
Language & Ethnicity
- Medical and cultural information about immigrant and refugee groups.
- Health Information Translations
- Information to assist healthcare workers in dealing with people of diverse ethnic and linguistic backgrounds.
- Healthy Roads Media
- Free health education materials in a number of languages and a variety of formats.
- Rhin: Refugee Health Information Network
- Multilingual health information for immigrants and their health providers.
- American Psychological Association
- Comprehensive information on programs and resources in psychology, including links to topics of public interest.
- APA HelpCenter
- American Psychological Association website for basic information on common psychological concerns with advice on when and how to seek help.
- Bring Change 2 Mind
- A portal for mental illness information, organizations and research. Works to provide education to change minds and inspire new attitudes about mental illness.
- Depression and Bipolar Support Alliance
- A website focused on educating patients, families, and professionals concerning depression, manic-depression, and related illnesses.
- National Institute of Mental Health
- Information on specific mental disorders (including diagnosis and treatment), mental health news and events, grant and contract information, and research. Includes a search engine for searching the NIMH database.
- Nutrient Data Laboratory
- The NDL provides data on the composition of foods available in the United States.
- This website is the result of the cooperative efforts of many governmental departments to provide easy access to government data on nutrition.
- Scientific Registry of Transplant Recipients
- The goal of the Scientific Registry of Transplant Recipients website is to provide information for the entire transplant community.
- UNOS · United Network for Organ Sharing
- This site is dedicated to patients waiting for organ donations and the families who donate.
- National Center for Health Statistics
- This is the principal federal website for finding vital records and health statistics.
- Medical Dictionary
- An online medical dictionary from Medline Plus and the National Institutes of Health.
- Medical Dictionary
- A free online medical dictionary search engine with browse and search functions.
- Access definitions of over 10,000 medical terms.
- Travel Health Online
- Health and travel information for traveling abroad, including country profiles, general travel health concerns, preventative medications and vaccines, and U.S. Department of State publications.
- A website dedicated to promoting health and wellness for African American women.
- The National Women’s Health Information Center
- A project of the Office on Women's Health, U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, this website provides access to information and resources on women's health topics in English and Spanish.
- North American Menopause Society
- Search this site for information on all aspects of menopause and a wide variety of therapies to enhance health.
- Society for Women's Health Research
- Information on medical, scientific, and political aspects of women's health.
On this Page