- Care2 Healthy & Green Living
- A host of ideas to help you pursue a green life style.
- Cincinnati and the Tristate · Green Living
- Use this directory for local green resources and information.
- The Daily Green
- Provides news and resources about going green.
- Green Guide
- Green ideas for everyday living.
- Green Living Ideas
- “Keeping going green down to earth.”
- Green Living Tips
- Information on going green in a variety of areas.
- Practical advice for being a more environmentally friendly consumer. Product reviews, information about large scale environmental issues, and tips for reading food and fish labels. From Consumer Reports.
- An online directory of eco-friendly businesses, organizations and events.
- Mother Earth News
- “The original guide to living wisely.”
- Ohio Environmental Protection Agency
- An easy-to-use site for information from the Ohio EPA.
- A site which strives “to be a one-stop shop for green news, solutions, and product information.”
- Energy Star Labeled Buildings
- Lists facilities that measurably cost less to operate and improve the quality of our environment. Includes commercial buildings such as banks, hotels, churches, schools, supermarkets, and industrial plants.
- Green Building - U. S. Environmental Protection Agency
- Green building information from the U.S. Government agency.
- Green Building.com
- General advice, referrals, and information on individual elements of building.
- Green Source
- From the magazine of the same name which deals with green construction and design.
- U. S. Green Building Council
- Non-profit organization dedicated to making green building generally available.
- Carbon Footprint
- Carbon calculators for home and business and information on carbon management.
- Climate Change – Personal Emissions Calculator
- This site from the EPA helps you make a ballpark estimate of your effect on the environment.
- Nature Conservancy – Carbon Footprint Calculator
- Carbon footprint calculator from the well-known conservation group.
- Compost Guide – Composting Fundamentals
- This VegWeb sites offers a thorough introduction to composting.
- A Journey to Forever site on composting.
- Wastes – Resource Conservation – Reduce , Reuse, Recycle - Composting
- EPA info on recycling yard trimmings and food residuals.
- National Geographic – Conservation Trust
- Information and grant opportunities from National Geographic.
- The Nature Conservancy
- Conservation organization dedicated to protecting ecologically important lands and waters
- Water Conservation Application
- Facebook features a water conservation application that gives you a speedy rundown of your personal water use. You can complete the test in a few minutes and then see where you fall in comparison to other Facebook peeps.
- Green Cooking Wiki
- Simple ways to green up your kitchen
- E-cycling Central
- Provides reuse, recycling, and donation programs across the country for hazardous materials and electronics. Offers resources for recycling batteries or mercury-containing lamps.
- National Cristina Foundation
- Matches donated technology with needy schools and non-profit organizations.
- Energy Star
- Get the latest on energy-saving products for home or business, from the EPA and the U.S. Dept. of Energy. Provides qualifications for the federal tax credits for energy-efficient products or renewable energy systems for your home.
- Going Green at Google
- Google’s own site devoted to building a clean energy future.
- Environmental Working Group
- Information and suggestions for taking environmental action.
- Friends of the Earth
- A group of committed people who fight daily for a healthy and just world.
- Green America
- Dedicated to creating “a socially just and environmentally sustainable society.”
- Probably the world’s best-known environmental advocacy group.
Gardening & Farming
- How to Go Green: Gardening
- A Discovery Channel/Planet Green site.
- Local Harvest
- Locations of farmers’ markets, family farms, and “other sources of sustainably grown food.”
- Northside Farmers Market
- The Northside Farmers Market (NFM) offers the community year-round access to local farmers, bakers, and producers. The market is held every Wednesday from 4pm-7pm. During the summer months, find the market in Jacob Hoffner Park, from October-May in the auditorium of North Presbyterian Church at 4222 Hamilton Ave. In addition to a wide variety of local foods, the market hosts children's activities and cooking classes, music, and workshops. NFM strives to make healthy local foods accessible to everyone. VISA, MasterCard, SNAP Ohio Direction Card, and WIC transactions are accepted at the Market Info booth. In addition, NFM participates in “Produce Perks,” a matching funds incentive program which allows low-income individuals to receive up to $10 each market visit for use on vegetable and fruit purchases.
- Helps you find and use locally grown products.
- An Environmental Working Group site with information on environmental health effects.
- Teleosis Institute: Health Professionals in Service of the Global Environment
- An organization dedicated to bringing healthcare in line with environmentally friendly values.
- TreeHugger: Food + Health
- TreeHugger’s food and health page.
Heating & Air Conditioning
- Geothermal Heating – Popular Mechanics
- Information on this source of heating and air conditioning which relies on the earth’s natural warmth.
- Geothermal Power
- Details on possible forms of geothermal power for generating heat and electricity.
- How Geothermal Energy Works
- An explanation of geothermal energy from The Union of Concerned Scientists.
- Sierra Club – Heating Systems
- Sierra Club advice on home heating.
- A Sourcebook for Green and Sustainable Building
- Solar hot water, heating and cooling systems
- NRDC: The Natural Resources Defense Council
- An advocacy group which strives to be “Earth’s best defense.”
- Organic Food
- This USDA site provides information on labeling and a wealth of other subjects related to organic food.
- Great Green Pet
- A shopping blog devoted for the green, eco-friendly pet owner.
- Holistic Pet Care
- A site from Green Living Ideas devoted to pet safety and natural pet care.
- How to Go Green: Pets
- Green pet ideas and information on where to obtain green pet products.
- Guide to local resources including recycling centers, how to recycle, pollution prevention and how help protect the environment.
- Global Environmental Services
- A nationwide electronics recycler committed to protecting the environment.
- National Recycling Coalition
- A national non-profit advocacy group. Site includes a useful recycling center finder.
- An interactive website from the EPA that shows the ways in which an imaginary city implemented recycling.
- RecycleMania is a friendly competition and benchmarking tool for college and university recycling programs to promote waste reduction activities to their campus communities. Over a 10-week period, schools report recycling and trash data, which are then ranked according to who collects the largest amount of recyclables per capita, the largest amount of total recyclables, the least amount of trash per capita, or have the highest recycling rate.
- Recycling on Wikipedia
- Wikipedia’s site on recycling, including links and references.
- Green Car Reports
- Information on electric cars, hybrids, and more.
- Green Center
- Yahoo! site for green autos.
On this Page