In order to make it easy for teachers and students to participate in On the Same Page, the Public Library of Cincinnati and Hamilton County will provide copies of Bronx Masquerade to schools. Teen Librarians from your local branch library are available to present book talks or lead discussions in the classroom. To get involved, follow these steps:
- Teachers who would like multiple copies of Bronx Masquerade should have an active Educator Card from the Public Library of Cincinnati and Hamilton County. For information about obtaining or renewing an Educator Card, please contact your local public library or Circulation Services at 513-369-6913.
- Contact Susanne Wells, Collection Development Librarian, by phone (513-665-3314) or email to request a classroom book collection. Teachers are welcome to pick up their collections at any of our library agencies.
Ohio Department of Education Academic Standards & Support Material for Bronx Masquerade
Reading Bronx Masquerade will address benchmarks for the following standards for grades 7-12:
English/Language Arts Standards
- Reading Process: Concepts of Print, Comprehension Strategies and Self-Monitoring Strategies Standard (all indicators)
- Reading Applications: Literary Text Standard (all indicators)
- Acquisition of vocabulary (all indicators)
Social Studies Standards
- Grade 10, History: Analyze the major political, economic and social developments of the 1920s including the Harlem Renaissance
May also include assignments that address benchmarks from the following standards:
- Writing Processes
- Writing Applications
- Writing Conventions
- Communication: Oral and Visual if you conduct an "Open Mic" activity.