The Library supports community literacy by providing space for volunteer tutors, adult new reader materials, GED study guides, contact lists for literacy programs, and help in our Adult Learning Center.
What is the GED® test?
The GED® test is a four-subject high school equivalency test that measures skills required by high schools and requested by colleges and employers. The four subjects are Science, Social Studies, Mathematical Reasoning, and Reasoning Through Language Arts. After you pass the GED® test, your diploma or credential will be issued by your state but you’ll receive a GED® transcript to apply to college, start training, or get a better job.
The GED® test is only delivered on a computer (not online). Print tests are no longer available; however, there are individualized test accommodations considered on a case-by-case basis.
For additional information on registration, testing locations and more, visit The Ohio Department of Education.
Getting ready to take the GED test? We’ve got the resources–from phone numbers to websites to study materials–you’ll need to succeed!
- Testing & Education Reference Center. You’ll need a library card number and PIN to sign in, but this database has great practice tests as well as the full-text of some GED study guides.
- Learning Express Library. This practice test database also requires your library card number and PIN. Register to create an account and start practicing.
Need some help studying? There are GED classes all over town. You’ll find a few listed below. For referrals to over 70 programs for adults, contact the Literacy Network of Greater Cincinnati at 513-621-7323.
- Cincinnati Public Schools ABLE/GED. Classes at various locations in Cincinnati neighborhoods. Call 513-363-6100 for details.
- Great Oaks Institute of Technology and Career Development. Locations in various Cincinnati and suburban neighborhoods. Check their website for a program near you, or call 513-771-8881.
- Literacy Center West/Santa Maria offer GED preparation and job readiness classes at Price Hill and Camp Washington locations. Call 513-244-5062.
- Education Matters. Free classes with childcare for GED students (call first to see if space is available). Check their website for more information, or call 513-244-2214.
- Price Hill Learning Center located at 3636 Warsaw Ave. has free classes. For more information call 513-557-2543.
- The Urban League has adult GED classess. Call 513-281-9955 x426 for information.
- The YWCA offers an ABLE/GED program. Call 513-241-7090 for more information.
- National Literacy Directory helps you find a local program. Do you want to improve your skills, get your GED Certification, or help your child learn?
- Camp Washington Community School offers one-on-one GED instruction, GEG pre-tests, and tutoring services.