Fifty Five+ · Caregiving Resources
Find reliable, up-to-the-minute information using our collection of books, databases and websites.
Newspaper & Magazine Articles
Hundreds of articles from well-known magazines and newspapers about caring for older people are available to you through our research databases. We’ve already set up a couple of sample searches—all you have to do is click on the link and enter your library card number and PIN.
Search for more articles in one of our other research databases.
Websites & Blogs
- AARP - Caregiving. Offers information, resources, and articles on caregiving.
- Caring for Aging Parents: The New Old Age Blog. A New York Times resource for baby boomers who are struggling to cope with the challenges of eldercare.
- AssistedLivingFacilities.org. Detailed information on facilities in the Cincinnati area. Also includes articles on related topics ("How to Select An Assisted Living Facility,""Moving Into an Assisted Living Facility," etc.), and a directory of state licensing organizations.
- Eldercare Locator. Eldercare Locator is your first step for finding local agencies to help older persons and their families access home and community-based services like transportation, meals, home care, and caregiver support services. Provided as a public service of the U.S. Administration on Aging.
- Family Caregiver Alliance. Serves as a central source of information on caregiving, long-term care issues, and legal issues involved with aging.
- Mobility Devices. The British Columbia Institute of Technology provides information for seniors and their families about mobility devices. Includes publications, frequently asked questions, tips, and articles on assistive technology and aids. Also offers a guide for baby boomers to talk to their parents about mobility.
- The Wright Stuff. Everything you need to make your physically challenged life easier to handle. Includes comprehensive listing of tools, appliances, equipment, rehabilitation devices, and unique health care products.
You’ll find more related websites in Sites by Subject, a directory of websites maintained by library staff.
- Council on Aging of Southwestern Ohio - Caregiver Support and Education. Provides links for information and resources for caregiving including adult day services, home care services, transportation, and grandparenting.
- Ohio Association of Area Agencies on Aging. A statewide network of agencies that provides services for the elderly and advocates on behalf of older Ohioans.
- Ohio Department of Aging. State site for the delivery of services and support for older Ohioans, adults with disabilities, and families and their caregivers. Information on long-term care, Golden Buckeye program, PASSPORT program, area agencies on aging, long-term care ombudsman programs, senior centers, assisted living, and other related topics.
There is a growing variety of books in our collection about caregiving. Here’ a sample:
- Stages of Senior Care: Your Step-by-Step Guide to Making the Best Decisionsby Paul and Lori Hogan
- How to Find the Best Eldercare by Marilyn Rantz
- A Bittersweet Season: Caring for Our Aging Parents--and Ourselves by Jane Gross
- When the Time Comes: Families with Aging Parents Share Their Struggles and Solutions by Paula Span
- Practical Improvements for Older Homeowners: Easy Ways to Make Your Home More Comfortable As You Age by Rick Peters
- You and Your Aging Parents: The American Bar Association Guide to Legal, Financial, and Health Care Issues
- Stages of Senior Care: Your Step-by-Step Guide to Making the Best Decisions by Paul Hogan
- Caring for our Parents: Inspiring Stories of Families Seeking New Solutions to America's Most Urgent Health Crisis by Howard Gleckman
- The Complete Eldercare Planner: Where to Start, Which Questions to Ask, and How to Find Help by Joy Loverde
- The Everything Guide to Caring for Aging Parents: Reassuring Advice to Help You Support Your Loved Ones by Kathy Quan
- When Your Aging Parent Needs Care by Candy Arrington
- Memory Lessons: A Doctor's Story by Jerald Winakur
- Welcome to the Departure Lounge: Adventures in Mothering Mother by Meg Federico
- Family Meals: Coming Together to Care for an Aging Parent by Michael Tucker
To find more titles, try searching our catalog with one of these subject headings:
- Aging parents--Care--United States
- Older people--Long-term care--United States
- Long-term care facilities--United States
- Older people--Care
- Care of the sick
Still Need Help?
The Ask a Librarian page lists all the different ways you can get assistance!